What we need in life... lessons from the mat volume 2

So a few weeks ago, I took a poll among my friends and asked them to let me know the first word that they thought of when they heard the word "yoga." The following is a list of responses I received:
Peace 
Happiness
Mindfulness
Relaxing
Pants 😋
Flexibility
Bent
Stretching
Namaste
Breath
Calm
Balance
Centered
Control
Strength 
Goodness
Surrender
Play
Of note, more playful responses included Yogi Bear, mat, station wagons, tattoos and some others that were more PG13. ☺️

Additionally, most people that responded to this question, to my knowledge, have little experience with a longstanding yoga practice. 

So why did I ask this question? As a therapist and now a yoga teacher in training, I'm starting to make more and more connections between what people are searching for in their lives and what yoga (and a good therapist) can offer them! 

Our world seems to be the exact opposite of what we are striving for. As a society, we are consumed by the scarcity problem of "not enough" and multitasking and being over stimulated. Our children can no longer sit at a dinner table without having their iPads on watching movies and playing games. Self-disclosure here-- I frequently catch myself watching a TV show but at the same time checking Facebook or Instagram, or looking to see if there are any entertaining articles on Buzzfeed. 

Why are we all so guilty of doing the very things in life that are only taking us further away from our goals and values. 

That's another thing I noticed about the responses that I got. Many of them are not just goals, but values! Acceptance and Committment Therapy (which I frequently utilize in session) teaches us that we experience more discord and conflict within ourselves and with others when we make decisions and choices that are incongruent with our values. 

Some of my values include balance, peace, play, and flexibility. Hmmm... Same things that yoga can give me! I personally feel that I am living more congruent with my personal values when I'm on my mat and I try to maintain that when I get off the mat and back into the "real world." 

I constantly recommend and encourage my clients to start a yoga practice. When they do this, they begin to feel better physically and emotionally! Yoga assists in strengthening the connection between the mind and body. Many of my clients lack this connection. Therapy and yoga can help get that connection back! So that we can live a values driven life! 

How else do you live life congruent with your values? Are you willing to step out of your comfort zone and try a yoga class? Do things WITH fear! What's worth doing even IF you fail or fall? You can pick yourself back up, it is possible. It may not be pretty or easy, but it's possible. More on that another time though. 

Namaste 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it me? Am I the crazy one?

Attachment

The Counterpose for Life