{space and balance}

I know, I know... I'm an awful blogger and it's been a while since I've posted anything.  I've got a couple blogs in progress that I hope to finish up over the next few weeks or so.  But before I digress to much, I wanted to write a bit more on space and balance. 




This theme just came to me during a yoga class I was teaching yesterday. I honestly went into the class without an identified theme, which is unusual for me.  But it was cool because the theme quickly emerged in the class and that was space and balance.  Specifically in the class, was using the breath to create more space in the body and directing our breath into tight spaces in our bodies.  Creating more space.  Which got me thinking.... where do we need to create more space in our lives? How can we create more space in life? What needs to take up less space in our lives?

That brings me to balance... oh balance... do we have balance in our lives? Probably not if we are being honest with ourselves.  Most of us get our self-worth validated by how busy we are with work and how exhausted we are.  If we are honest with ourselves, our success seems to be defined by how exhausted we are at the end of the day.  So how can we start to bring balance into our lives.  First step {at least in a physical sense of balance, but work with me here}, is having a focal point, or in Sanskrit a drishti.  What happens when we are in a yoga class practicing balance poses without a focal point? We fall over.  How does this apply to your life? Do you lose your focus and start to fall off in life? I know I do at times.  Even more so, I recently learned even more about focal points and having an internal drishti in addition to an external drishti.  I was taking a good friend's yoga class, Jessica Taylor, and the class was about removing senses, so we took the class blindfolded.  Talk about difficult.  Having to do seemingly simply balance poses became incredibly difficult! I couldn't "see" my external drishti, I had to identify and rely on my internal drishti.  Talk about making you think too! But once I was able to locate my inner drishti, the poses became less challenging.  Don't get me wrong, it was still difficult and to be completely honest, I felt the class feeling slightly frustrated in myself but I also realized how we need to have an internal focal point as well.. to bring us that balance in life.

So how can you create more or less space in your life and how can you live more in balance? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it me? Am I the crazy one?

Attachment

The Counterpose for Life