Fear

Lately this word/feeling/emotion has come up a lot in my work. Being a therapist, many of my clients struggle with fear. Fear of the future. Fear of the unknown. Fear of change. Fear of not changing. Fear of failure.  Fear of being viewed differently. Fear of honesty. Fear of losing their identity in their disorder. 

Anxiety increased yet? I've realized lately just how much we all typically lead lives ruled by fear. How much does fear keep you trapped? According to dictionary.com, the definition of fear is "a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid."

How much of our fear is real versus how much is imagined? I came across a Zen proverb last week that said "leap, and the net will appear." 

Wow... I'm still trying to process that one myself. What's worth doing if you fail? How much do you allow your fear to define you? How much does fear inspire you? 

I want to start living my life with the acknowledgment and acceptance of fear. What risks will I take knowing I might fail. Or I can trust my wise mind and "do it, with fear."  I don't want to live a life ruled by fear, I want to embrace the fear and take that leap and be confident that the net will appear. 

It will be scary. It'll be uncertain. But do we really have any guarantees? 

What can you do with fear this week? I'd love to hear! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it me? Am I the crazy one?

Attachment

The Counterpose for Life