Living in the Gray

My apologies for being such an infrequent blogger!! I'm back though and hoping to get on a regular blogging track now. 

One thing I've known about myself for a long time now and frequently remember my dad saying to me when I was younger was about how I tend to view the world and situations in "black or white." What does this mean exactly? Those of us that suffer from this form of extreme thinking tend to think in extremes and all-or-nothing thinking. I honestly used to view this as a primarily positive characteristic I had, but looking back I am able to see just how greatly it limited my life. 

I'm a Type A, change-hating, perfectionist folks. So are the ladies I work with. So, black or white thinking tends to go along with those other traits.  Don't get me wrong, this way of thinking can and has helped me achieve goals and dreams.... But what it really does is limit and hurt me more than anything else!! Let's get real here.... How often do we truly encounter extremes in life? They just don't happen that often and if we force ourselves to continue to think in this way, we end up becoming rigid, inflexible, and our anxiety just skyrockets when the "unexpected" happens. When we continue to think in these terms, life actually seems kind of bland and colorless. 

So, I know what you are thinking.... What do I do about this?? Don't worry! There is help! It's calling "living in the grays." In reality, life happens on a continuum where they are various shades of white AND black (gray)!! If we can start to acknowledge that truth exists on both sides of the extreme and begin to find the middle path, we can open to our lives to infinite opportunities!!! Just think about all the possibilities!! 

How will you start to identity all the shades of gray in YOUR life? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it me? Am I the crazy one?

Attachment

The Counterpose for Life